Monday, July 15, 2013

Gay Tests Positive



So much for that anticipated Tyson Gay vs. Usain Bolt showdown at World Championshipts next month.
Gay, the U.S. sprinter who won both the 100 and 200-meter dashes at the Nationals in June, has tested positive for a banned substances and dropped out of the upcoming global event in Moscow.



"I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA's hands, someone playing games," said Gay in a statement. "I don't have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down."
Gay would not name the individual in question nor include any more specifics.
But he was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency last week that an "A" sample came back positive from a May 16 out-of-competition test.
He will now await the results of the follow-up "B" sample and then his punishment, assuming that test also comes back in the affirmative.
Gay said he has spoken with his teammates and family members about the incident.
"My career and my name have always been better than medals or records or anything like that. I've always wanted a clean name with anything. Unfortunately, I have to break this news, that I have a positive `A' sample."
The track and field star finished fourth in the 100 at the London Olympics last month and was part of a USADA program titled "My Victory" a few years ago in which he testified on the official website:
"I compete clean because I really believe in fairness, and besides that, my mom would kill me! Just being honest."


No comments:

Post a Comment